Coursebook 1 and 2
Shalu Mehra (ELT Consultant with British Council)
Coursebook 3 to 5
Shobha Shivnani (DPS, Vasant Kunj)
Dr Vijaya (English and Foreign Languages University, Lucknow)
About the Series
My English Garden is an innovative course comprising course books and workbooks for Classes 1-8. The course caters to the needs of the learners and facilitators through its constructivist approach. It blends the principles of communicative language teaching with a functional approach to grammar through task-based learning. Through their simple, lucid and visually appealing presentation of content, the books make language acquisition effortless and engrossing for learners.
Salient Features of the Coursebook
- elections are a perfect blend of literary classics as well as contemporary and age-appropriate texts with inclusive, diverse and relevant themes with nearly 60% being original works or translations by Indian authors.
- Getting Started prepares learners for the lesson through full-page activity-based warm-ups for prose chapters and short warm-ups for poems.
- On-page glossary includes picture gloss for difficult words, and encourages the learner to arrive at contextual meanings.
- Authors include canonical authors, both Indian and foreign, as well as contemporary writers.
- Understanding the Text addresses various skills of reading, like skimming and scanning, as well as HOTS questions as per Bloom's Taxonomy.
- Playing with Words focuses on practising usage of words from the text as well as introducing learners to new vocabularies in every grade.
- Learning the Language focuses on functional usage of language, with well-graded exercises and strong scaffolding, while addressing syllabus requirements.
- Listening and Speaking tasks with devoted sections, including phonic drills in classes 1-2, for developing oral and aural skills, based on realistic situations, addressing various kinds of sub-skills, include topics that learners find useful in their day-to-day interaction with others.
- Writing helps to hone and develop creative writing skills in all necessary formats as per syllabus requirements with guided tasks.
- Life Skills include text-based life skills and values identified by the NCF, CBSE and WHO.
- Activity section draws a thread from the text and provides a multiple intelligence-based activity that is engaging and informative.
- Projects that are interesting and hands-on encourage group or pair work through meaningful, informative tasks.
- Model Test Paper sections have sample tasks for assessment that help facilitators assess learners.
Salient Features of the Workbook:
- Enhancing the learner's vocabulary
- Reiterating rules and definitions learnt in grammar, while offering ample practice
- Providing practise in functional and creative composition
- Providing ample questions for model test papers in Classes 3-8, which include unseen comprehension passages as well as questions on vocabulary, grammar and writing
- Offering extra passages for reading comprehension for Classes 1-5
- Offering practice in Open Text-based Assessment through unseen passages accompanied by analytical and application-based questions for Classes 6-8
- Supplementing the coursebook activities on Listening and Speaking